What is Kosher Certification?
The Meaning of Kosher
The word kosher comes from the Hebrew
language and means fit or proper. It refers to
food items that meet the dietary requirements of
Jewish Law. These dietary laws are called kashrus.
Kosher certified means:
A guarantee by a kosher agency, such as the
Vaad Hoeir of St. Louis, that a product meets
the requirements of Jewish laws pertaining to
Basic Rules of Kosher
Though the laws of kosher food are truly complex, there are four basic, simple laws at their core:
Never mix milk and meat.
Never process milk-derived products on the same equipment that is used for processing meat products and vice versa.
Only certain types of animals, birds and fish are kosher
Kosher animals and birds must be slaughtered and processed for consumption in a
In addition to these laws, two general factors will determine whether a company’s products earn kosher certification:
The source of the ingredients
The status of the production equipment
The degree to which companies adhere to kosher rules in these two areas will determine their products’ kosher status.
Three Categories of Kosher
Every food that is certified kosher is also assigned to one of three kosher categories:
Products that contain kosher meat (such as bison, beef or lamb) or kosher fowl (chicken, turkey, goose or duck) or derivatives of meat, and even non-animal products that were processed on equipment used for processing meat or meat-derived products.
Products that contain milk or any derivatives of milk, and even non-dairy products that were processed on equipment used for processing milk or milk-derived products
All products that contain neither meat nor milk-derived ingredients, and which have been processed on equipment that is never used for processing any meat or dairy products.
How Does Kosher Affect You?
Today’s kosher food market is a $9 billion dollar market. It is estimated that millions of people worldwide follow the kosher dietary laws, many for non-religious reasons. Food manufacturers whose products are certified kosher greatly expand their potential consumer base.
Kosher Food Demand is Growing
There are more than 100,000 kosher certified products today.
Approximately 3,000 new products are introduced into the kosher market each year In 2005, 40% of US grocery sales were certified kosher, according to the Bureau of Census. There are over 10,000 kosher producing companies today.
More than 10,000 food companies today produce kosher-certified products. These companies enjoy many benefits:
A larger consumer market. Kosher products appeal to a wider variety of consumers:
- Religious Jews
- Health-conscience consumers
- Lactose intolerant
- People with Celiac disease
- Seventh Day Adventists
- Other Christian sects with dietary restrictions
A reputation for quality.
Kosher certification reflects well on your company and your products. Your certification lets others know that your manufacturing processes are under constant supervision by a separate, objective agency that adheres to the strictest quality standards.
By providing products that meet the special health and religious needs of consumers, you show that your company cares.
Why the OV?
- The Vaad Hoeir of St. Louis (OV) offers the most modern technology to help you manage your kosher certification. As a client of the OV, you will have access to DigitalKosher ™, the online management system that allows you to store, update, archive and share information about your kosher products and the
ingredients you buy.
- The OV offers friendly, responsive service. Thanks to our central location in the U.S., our staff has quick access to overseas transportation whenever the need for a factory visit arises.
- The expert staff of the OV has received the highest level of training and combines years of experience in food science and kosher food laws.
- The OV mark is simple. Consumers of kosher products can easily identify the products they want when they see the OV symbol.
- The OV is recognized around the world. Kosher authorities and consumers worldwide recognize the OV symbol and associate it with the highest standards for kosher certification.
Steps to Becoming Kosher Certified
1. Online Application Form
The application form asks for information such as:
- Your factory location
- Products to be certified
- Ingredients used in your manufacturing process
- A description of your manufacturing process
- A description of your cleaning process
2. Initial Inspection
Before we certify a product as kosher, we inspect all ingredients and production facilities used.
This ensures that the product meets the highest standards and will be accepted by kosher authorities and consumers worldwide.
You will be asked to sign a contract agreeing to:
- Inspection of your facility by our staff during all operating hours
- Proper use of the OV symbol and designation, if applicable
- A list of approved finished products
- A list of approved ingredients
- Notification to the Vaad Hoeir of St. Louis if and when you change ingredients or suppliers
4. Financial Arrangements
The Vaad Hoeir of St. Louis offers competitive, reasonable pricing for our kosher certification services. Clients pay an all-inclusive fee to be paid
once every year.
This fee applies to all the products you wish to certify kosher, and includes our travel costs, unlimited inspection fees, and certificate fees. The amount of the fee will depend on the complexity of your products and manufacturing process
We offer two types of Kosher Certification:
- Annual certificate. This certificate is good for one year and covers all products
specified in your contract. After one year, the contract automatically renews
unless either party gives at least 30 days notice.
- Batch Certificate. This allows you to certify specific product batches only, which
will be manufactured under rabbinical supervision so that you may meet the seasonal needs of kosher.
For your protection, the contract also includes our promise to keep all your company’s trade secrets, formulas and processes used to manufacture any products confidential.
The Vaad Hoeir of St. Louis is experienced in dealing with food manufacturers overseas.
We certify kosher products for companies in China, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam. Our online application can be completed in Chinese, Vietnamese or English.
Our staff is trained in dealing with people in Asia. They understand the local traditions, customs and etiquette. You and your staff can feel comfortable doing business with the Vaad Hoeir of St.Louis.